Wednesday, May 10, 2017

I Have 2 Moms (Mothers Day)


In the steamy savanna of northeast Congo, after hours of travel on a rutted dirt road, and countless hours of labor, I met my first Mom. 
In a small mission house made of burnt red brick and grass thatch, she struggled to bring me into this dusty, poverty stricken, and sweaty third world country that she loved.  She was so beautifully out of place....a white, English, nurse and midwife, whose porcelain skin contrasted sharply against the vivid colors of the deep tropical forest and lush green elephant grass.
The first time she set foot on African soil, she had come all alone on an assignment to love and care for 600 lepers.  Into this world of sights, smells, and sounds that suffocated the senses with overwhelming force, she began a medical practice. Treating an unending waterfall of diseases was a daily task, malaria, dengue fever, infections, diarrhea, leprosy, smallpox, typhoid fever, the list was unending.  Bringing healing to so many became a love that would last a lifetime.
Into this poor but richly colored world I came kicking and screaming to meet my first Mom.  This woman who had declined her cultures offers of success and fortune, to serve lepers and pregnant mothers in a God forsaken place called Congo, was my Mom!  I could hardly believe it!
I met my second Mom much later. Actually, I met her daughter first, and I caught a glimpse of my second Mom in her eyes. I saw beauty, generosity, understated kindness, and love. My second Mom was as valiant a hero and explorer as my first Mom.  Leaving the security of family and home, she moved across a nation to find work, and eventually, love.  She raised a daughter who is unlike any other woman in the world, a wonder, a mystery, a loyal friend, a lover, and my wife.
My life has been blessed by the influence of two amazing Moms.  My biological Mother, Edith Cochrane, and my Mother In Law, Marie Bohler.
So today I stand to bless you and to call attention to your heroism and courage.
I will always love you both. Marie Bohler and Edith May Cochrane. 

3 comments:

Ginger said...

What beautiful sentiments so eloquently expressed! Two wonderful women . . . .

Unknown said...

I so well remember your mother Edith at the Biodi station in the Congo when I was a teenager. She was a wonderful woman of faith, courage and strength as she then labored to give hope and love through Jesus Christ to 150 leper's. She was a wonderful example of Jesus in the dark continent and many many people were blessed by knowing her. God bless you Edith!

Phil said...

facebook.com/groups/congonurse